Saturday, April 6, 2019

Conformation lesson with Vicki

Terra has gotten comfortable enough with strangers and new places that I've decided to give conformation a try. She might still shy away when the judge approaches - it will depend on the judge's demeanor and how much time she's gotten to watch the person. The Northern California Irish Wolfhound Club is having their annual match on April 28th, conveniently close to me. The judge is a woman. So that will be the perfect opportunity to ease us into it.

We did a private lesson with Vicki Ronchette to test her skills and give me pointers. Terra did great - the tiniest lean away the first time Vicki came up, but no problems after that. She warmed up to Vicki very quickly and was soon leaning on her and headbutting her instead of stopping and stacking. She has pretty good front foot placement for a free stack, and doesn't move them while I fix the back feet. We tried out a short, skinny slip lead that has stoppers on both sides, so it won't tighten or loosen up more than needed. Terra wasn't used to the feel and would lower her head if I trotted her while it was tight. We tried it loose and she moved very well.

I'm feeling optimistic about the match (but will pull her, even leaving the ring if she needs me to).




No comments:

Post a Comment